The new-and-improved website is now up and running! It may still take awhile before all the kinks are worked out of the system and all the content is fully updated in each section — but from now on, all edits will be on the fly.
Here are some of the new features that I’m especially excited about:
- Simple, scalable, responsive design – The new site looks great (if I do say so myself) and is easy to read on mobile devices as well as on regular internet browsers
- Eric Asp, not Amsterdam Asp – I don’t want to be that guy who’s always living in the past — hanging at the bar every Friday night and regaling himself with repeated recaps of his great touchdown catches from high school. So now that I’m living in Ohio, I’d like for the Amsterdam thing to become a smaller part of my identity. Amsterdam will always be a part of me — and you will continue to see small glimpses of the old city throughout my website — but it won’t be the defining feature any more.
- Comments! – Thanks to enhanced security features with the new content manager, my website is once again able to receive comments (sweet, sweet, comments). Even though the interactive element of blogging had been one of my favorite parts of the whole experience, I had so many problems with spam on my last system that I had to shut down comments entirely. Now, however, you can post comments directly to the site (as well as through the Facebook version of the content).
- Updated Information – Particularly in the sections marked “About” and “Ministry,” a lot of the content had become woefully outdated. Some of it still is. But I’m still working on it, and I’m happy to see that these pages are now more reflective of reality. Congruency of information is so nice, isn’t it?
- Potential for Greater Integration with Social Media – I’ve still got to play with these settings more before I’m ready to launch anything officially, but it looks like WordPress (my new content manager) should make it a lot easier to link up this website with my Facebook and Twitter accounts and such.
So anyway, please go to your browser’s list of favorites / bookmarks and make sure that it’s directing you properly to http://www.ericasp.com. If you use some kind of RSS aggregator (such as Google Reader), you may also need to update your settings according to the link listed on the right sidebar under Meta >> Entries RSS. And finally, if you have a website or blog of your own, please be so kind as to direct your links to the updated version of my website (in case the existing links include an extension that we unique to the previous version of the site). Thanks, in advance, for your interest in the site!
Who’s going to be the first to comment on the revised site? We’ll see… But in any event, I’m excited about the newest developments.